March 5, 2009

The OT is Finally Coming!

The Occupational Therapist finally called me tonight and scheduled the evaluation for the 18th. That date can't some soon enough! I felt so comfortable talking to her about my concerns and his symptoms because she knew exactly what I was talking about. I can't wait to meet her...I know this therapy is going to be critical to his development and I feel like every day that we don't have it is precious time wasted.

I'm almost finished with reading my second book on the disorder. Every time I read that living with SPD is a lifelong struggle it kills me. We're pretty sure SPD is what it is, but there can sometimes be another disorder that kids have along with it. Autism, OCD, and ADHD are the main ones so when we go to Strong in April, they will look for those things in him as well. SPD can sometimes be misdiagnosed as ADHD in boys and because the ADHD is treated with meds and SPD with OT a lot of kids still struggle because they are not receiving the appropriate course of therapy needed. Believe me, I am so on top of this stuff that I already have his diagnosed and am curious to see how right I am.

Today was an off day for him in therapy. I was throwing up all morning and Chris did the therapy with him and he just wasn't into it. Not sure if it was because I wasn't there, but he was up at 5:00 a.m. and pretty tired before Melissa got here. Back to the open gym tomorrow...Melissa will be there with us this time. I'm hoping it goes better than last week...that's all I can ask for.

2 comments:

cciardi said...

I got to say it was pretty evident that chris was tired today and he was showing it.

Unknown said...

Hey guys! I think I am able to log in now...
Keep the determination strong and give that little man a squeeze! Steph