March 24, 2009

Lots of Worries Today

I'm all in a tizzy over the poopy diapers again. He had a bad one in the middle of the night and I only know this because he came in my bed and from the looks of it, he had been in it a while. Then later this morning, another one. This one was REALLY bad. So now I am back to my detective work to put the puzzle together to figure out what he ate yesterday that might have done this. I took him for his blood work yesterday, at so hopefully soon we'll know for sure soon what the issues are. I'm hoping it's not Celiac's disease...having a such a restricted diet for a child is so sad.

Yesterday's ST session was good. It took him a little while to get back into the routine of the session because of missing last week, but it turned out good. She wants to start working on his imaginative play...dress up, feeding babies, etc...none of which he does. So lots of challenges ahead...plus she wants to get him prepared for the evaluation at Strong.

We had a good conversation about a plan for him. She would like to see him get into a special needs preschool in Sept. but still continue with the home services. I felt better hearing that because I felt lost a little bit not knowing what to do for his situation. I do want to make sure that he gets 2 years of preK before going to school. We have a bunch of meetings scheduled with the therapists and school district to discuss all this. I just hope that I don't have to fight it out with the district.

Kim also said that in all of her 12 years of doing ST, she has never been puzzled by a child as she is with Chris. She thinks that the Strong evaluation can go either way and I totally agree with her. She thinks there might be the possibility that they cannot pin point anything specific with him because his is so on the fence with it. It could be that they say to go back in 6 months to see if anything has changed. One minute he sees just like a total sensory child and then another minute it seems like he may have a minor form of Pervasive Development Disorder (PDD) or maybe on the low end of the autism spectrum. We just don't know....but that's good and bad for us. Good because he isn't SO bad and bad because he could still have a slight form of something. Part of the increase in the autism rate (1 in 150 boys) is because a lot of these kids have these other disorders but the doctors are so quick to just label them autistic so that they can qualify for services. So not all of those kids have autism...but they are autism-like because they demonstrate certain behaviors. I knew it was a matter of time until someone in our circle of friends had an autistic child, I just didn't think it would be our child. I still can't believe this is happening...

Tomorrow is the OT evaluation...looking forward to that. We went to Bounce it Out over the weekend and he did the bouncy houses but not really jumping. He had a blast though and when we came home and got the trampoline out, he was actually jumping! So being there helped him and although it is a zoo in there, we will go back for that reason alone...plus Bella enjoyed it.

No comments: