May 20, 2009

One Day At a Time

One day at at time...that is what Chris said to me tonight which put a lot of things immediately into perspective. I was going on a rampage about committing our lives to the recovery of Christopher, like saying that I wanted all of the carpets torn out, the ducts cleaned, the house checked for mold etc. to completely rid this house of toxins. I figure if we are modifying the way we eat with the GFCF diet, we might as well go all out and take it to the utmost level for the sake of our lives. Our environments are not the healthiest they can be...you don't realize it, until you really need to. The crap that we eat, better yet, feed our children is not nourishing them...it is harming them and it harmed Chrissy really bad, Bella too for that matter with her asthma. Now if I were not a parent of a child with autism, I don't think that I would really think twice about giving my child food with perservatives, artificial ingredients, dyes, etc. I did it for 5 years...yeah, I'd have that occasional feeling of guilt, that my kids were eating too much junk, or we had 2 Happy Meals in a week, but convenience is a son of a bitch. Months back Stephanie bought a book on how to hide vegetables and good stuff for the kids into recipes. She was making muffins with squash and flax in them and her kids were gobbling them up. I thought, hey good for her, but didn't have the drive to even consider doing something like that even though it was good for the kids. Maybe because I wasn't withholding food or starving them that I figured the way that they ate was okay. Now I am aware that there are tons of kids out there that eat way worse than I fed my kids, but we can't be raising our children to eat like that in these times now. Look at the shit that it is manifesting in their bodies as...here is an actual list that they call the 4A's: Autism, Asthma, Allergies, ADHD. Can you tell I'm pissed that I won't be having REAL pizza, etc. for a very long time and that I'll have to make our own hotdog buns. I'll get over it...if my son cannot have it because it is basically poisonous to him, than I won't eat it because he can't. That's good enough for me...

Vanessa came today (PT) and it was a good session. She said that she can tell that he is strengthening his core, he appears stronger. He didn't "W" sit for almost 50 minutes into the session, which is great because when Vanessa first started working with him only a few weeks ago, he was "W" sitting most of the time. He did a good job on the stairs too....more progress.

I can't keep up with the laundry or this house for that matter...thank you Chris for always doing way more than I would ever ask you to do and for not caring if the dishes from last night are still in the sink :-). You definetly soften the blow for me...ok, no pun intended sickos.

No comments: