May 5, 2009

More therapy and meetings today. Apparently once you get a diagnosis, there is this organization called RECDEC (still learning what all of the acronyms are...in fact they gave us a sheet of autism acronyms alone) that provides families with services and support information. I received our 100 days kit from Autism Speaks today. It's a big binder with tons of great information and resources. That is one thing though, I must say that there really doesn't seem to be a lack of resources available to us, either that or we have just been very fortunate.

Speaking of fortunate (maybe I should say "blessed" like my mother in law would have said), I called one of the only two biomedical doctors (DAN! doctor) from here to Canada, who is in Buffalo. I read up on her credentials because the other doctor was in Niagara Falls, and she was my first choice. It said that she had long wait for appointments, so I was figuring about 3-6 months or so when I called. The receptionist said that she had just had a cancellation for next Tuesday at noon, so I jumped on it. So now in between then, I have to complete their paperwork that is an 11 page packet of questions. We are looking forward to this appointment, but then again this is going to be just as much work maintaining the diet, and vitamins I'm hoping he adapts to it because he is an extremely picky eater. It's going to be a battle of the wills around here.

Chris Sr. (that's how I'll denote Daddy)has been ON TOP of this child. He's pushing and pushing him which is great because I tend to be more leanient on him. He seems to be getting the good cop, bad cop thing and has been a trooper. All of these appointments and new faces and he doesn't really let it throw him off, he goes with the flow. We've been taking them to the playground and are rotating a different playground every time because after a little while there, he masters the motor planning of maneuvering the playset so if we keep going to different locations each time, he'll constantly be challenged.

We had our first OT consult today. We only qualified for OT consult once a month, but with the diagnosis now, he may get it once a week in addition to the PT. She gave great information regarding the sensory input he needs and at what times and before and after what kinds of activities. Lots of compression squeezes for calming purposes, like before nap and bedtime or in general through out the day as he gets wound up. Joint compression for times where we want him to get the compression input but also awaken his senses.

Don't make plans for September 12th...Autism Speaks, Walk Now for Autism Walk at MCC. We will be forming a team soon for people to join...info and link to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sept 12th is on the calendar! Wouldn't miss it. Thank you for being so open and sharing each step of this journey. I am excited to hear what the Biomedical Dr. has to offer!