May 12, 2009
"I Did It!"
We had a good day today. It was long, but a lot of good stuff came out of it. Even before heading to Buffalo, the morning at home was pretty eventful.
I was making Bella's bed when I heard Chris telling Chrissy to get out of the drawers in our bathroom. The childproof latch is broken on Chris' drawer and Chrissy always opens and slams it (repetitive behavior). Well in this drawer is Chris's razor for shaving and I am always paranoid that Chrissy is going to grab it and slice his hand open (you would think that I would replace the damn latch then). So I'm making the bed in the other room and I hear Chris (my husband) scream, a scream that he reserves for something that is a big deal. I panicked and went running in, the whole time thinking we were going for stitches. I'm yelling "what happened" when Chris starts clapping and jumping up and down because Chrissy actually attemped a jump off the ground and succeeded. He jumped...I missed it, but Chris said that it was a "for real" jump off the ground. That is a big deal.
The next we were hanging downstairs getting ready to go and Bella, Chris, and Chrissy were playing with a new rocket toy that Joan got him. There was a lot of excitement with the rocket blasting up to the ceiling and then coming down and they were all taking turns doing it. Well it was Chrissy's turn and he stepped on the pedal hard enough to make the rocket go higher than he usually does, so we all went nuts and then he throws his arms in the air and looks right over to me and yells "I DID IT!". It was the moment for me...the moment that I realized he REALLY is making progress, he REALLY will be okay. Chris said that it will be forever etched in his mind. It was awesome...
So off we went to Buffalo, on a great note I might add. It went great and Dr. Patel was fantastic. I felt like I was talking to one of my friend's mothers. She and I were on the same page with everything. Lots of interesting discussions and information. We're embarking on THE diet but not entirely until I get enough research in. I'll be eliminating dairy beginning Monday (no better day to start a diet than on Monday, right?) and then the next phase will be gluten. Lots of blood and urine panels to be run and then we return in one month for those results and the vitamin supplementing plan. She also suggested, but will base it on his heavy metal toxicity (mercury, aluminum, etc.) levels, a therapy called chelation. It's intense and kind of scares me, but it is what basically cleans these kids right up. So unless he is fully recovered from diet and supplements alone, we'll do it and hope for great results.
I want to give a shout out to Donna, who I am not sure reads this, but she has come to our rescue a lot recently and we appreciate it so much. The one thing that I am learning to surrender is my lack of being able to accept help. We are already having to rely on our families and as it gets more intense, we wouldn't be able to do this without their care and support. Thanks to you too Mom...I know I can always sucker you into babysitting for me.
I was making Bella's bed when I heard Chris telling Chrissy to get out of the drawers in our bathroom. The childproof latch is broken on Chris' drawer and Chrissy always opens and slams it (repetitive behavior). Well in this drawer is Chris's razor for shaving and I am always paranoid that Chrissy is going to grab it and slice his hand open (you would think that I would replace the damn latch then). So I'm making the bed in the other room and I hear Chris (my husband) scream, a scream that he reserves for something that is a big deal. I panicked and went running in, the whole time thinking we were going for stitches. I'm yelling "what happened" when Chris starts clapping and jumping up and down because Chrissy actually attemped a jump off the ground and succeeded. He jumped...I missed it, but Chris said that it was a "for real" jump off the ground. That is a big deal.
The next we were hanging downstairs getting ready to go and Bella, Chris, and Chrissy were playing with a new rocket toy that Joan got him. There was a lot of excitement with the rocket blasting up to the ceiling and then coming down and they were all taking turns doing it. Well it was Chrissy's turn and he stepped on the pedal hard enough to make the rocket go higher than he usually does, so we all went nuts and then he throws his arms in the air and looks right over to me and yells "I DID IT!". It was the moment for me...the moment that I realized he REALLY is making progress, he REALLY will be okay. Chris said that it will be forever etched in his mind. It was awesome...
So off we went to Buffalo, on a great note I might add. It went great and Dr. Patel was fantastic. I felt like I was talking to one of my friend's mothers. She and I were on the same page with everything. Lots of interesting discussions and information. We're embarking on THE diet but not entirely until I get enough research in. I'll be eliminating dairy beginning Monday (no better day to start a diet than on Monday, right?) and then the next phase will be gluten. Lots of blood and urine panels to be run and then we return in one month for those results and the vitamin supplementing plan. She also suggested, but will base it on his heavy metal toxicity (mercury, aluminum, etc.) levels, a therapy called chelation. It's intense and kind of scares me, but it is what basically cleans these kids right up. So unless he is fully recovered from diet and supplements alone, we'll do it and hope for great results.
I want to give a shout out to Donna, who I am not sure reads this, but she has come to our rescue a lot recently and we appreciate it so much. The one thing that I am learning to surrender is my lack of being able to accept help. We are already having to rely on our families and as it gets more intense, we wouldn't be able to do this without their care and support. Thanks to you too Mom...I know I can always sucker you into babysitting for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yipeee!!!!! Progress, no matter how small, should definitely be celebrated!! And, a jump in the air is huge!!!!
Please know that I would do ANYTHING for you so please, please, please don't hesitate to ask!!! I know asking is hard, but I truly want to do something, anything to help you and your family, so please ask!!!!!
Karen
There was more to yesterday as well. Chris asked me for milk in the morning. Clear as day. I was at the coffee pot waiting for him to come over so I could challenge him by asking if he wanted "Milk or Banana". He just walked over and said MILK! - No problem, I grabbed his cup as fast as i could and filled it. Plus he started pointing at things yesterday, telling me what the object was. Without any prompting. Then I would ask him where the chair was and he turned and pointed. All great things Chris has to start doing. We're all putting in the work and its really wonderful how its paying off.
OMG how wonderful- I cried reading this- as I have with some other postings- " I did it" is a phrase we will all remember.
Post a Comment