July 27, 2009

Little Galileo


We spent yesterday afternoon in the pool at my grandmother's and yet again, he woke up at 1:00 a.m. speaking sentences. Chris and I fell asleep with the t.v. on the Science channel and when Chrissy came in, there was a show on about the solar system. He started talking about the galaxies, stars, moon, sun, Venus, Pluto...let's just say that he knows more about the solar system than I do, it's amazing. But even more so, it's like he has a passion for it. His other new thing is the orchestra instruments. He could just about name all of the instruments in the brass section. Some kids on the spectrum become engrossed in certain things and they become experts on the subject. He can already identify all of the letters of the alphabet, numbers 1-10, all shapes, including oval and diamond. Cognitively he is above average and continues to floor me every day.

I am enjoying getting to know our new speech therapist, Valerie. She had her first 1:1 session with Chris on Friday and it went great. I was really impressed with her technique and think that maybe she is what he needs now to get him to the next level in all of this. Her demands of him are not as easy as Kim's and I think this change will do him good. I'm looking forward to seeing his progress working with her.

I ordered Kim a good bye present today. I wanted to get her something special that will be a reminder of Chris, so I found a beautiful awareness bracelet online where a certain percentage of the proceeds goes to charity. Maybe I'll ask Chris for it for my birthday coming up :-). Speaking of charity, Christopher's Cause is in 3rd place for fundraising for the autism walk in September. We have raised $1,820 of our $2,500 goal in 2 weeks! Many thanks to all of you who have contributed in support of us, we are so blessed to have a wonderful circle of friends and family.

I also have to get presents for our service coordinator Chrissy and our PT Vanessa. As we transition into the school district come the end of August, we will no longer see these people and I am sad about it. They have become like family to us. They knew us on our journey to who we are as a family today. I'm thinking about having a backyard BBQ with all of them and their families with our immediate family. I talk about them to our family, and then I talk about our family to them so having all of our favorite people together to meet would be a big deal for us. Hope I can work it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beth,
I am not sure if it might be too much stimulation or if it would be overwhelming for Christopher, but the Planetarium has a great show for little kids called "I See the Sky." I took Zach and Lauren a couple of years ago and they loved it. We did the first show of the day during the summer, and other than a few groups from day camps, it wasn't very crowded, so maybe that would work...just an idea....

Karen