June 10, 2009
Keep On Keepin' On
Chris is continuing to make great progress daily. Late last week we were outside and he pointed (which is HUGE because he never really pointed) to the sky and said "sky", then "clouds", then "sun". There are a lot of elements to this simple scenario that any NT 15 month would be doing that Chris never got. I can draw a picture of the sky with clouds, the sun, etc. and that was the only way he knew what sky was. He didn't know that it actually "exsisted", but by him pointing up to the sky and saying those things means that he know "gets" it and is beginning to make associations with seeing it in pictures, on tv, etc. and realize that these things are beyond just that. It was pretty cool and again gives me the reassurance that he will be okay.
Today is the school districts eval and I am praying that he blows it. In order to go to St. James in the Fall, he will have to qualify for what is called a 12:1:1 classroom. This class has all special needs kids with an aide to 1 or so students. Chris really should be in an integrated class with 50%NT kids and 50%special needs kids, but they don't have any openings. The plan is to get his foot in the door and then see if he is just way too high functioning for that class and they will move him to the other class. We went as far as to wake this poor child up at 5:00 a.m. and the evaluation is at 1:00 so he will have been up with no nap so I am hoping that we get a favorable outcome. Watch it all blow up in my face...as I say that, he just said "face" and pointed to his face, that's another first. Oh boy...
We met with Dr. Weinberg yesterday and she is the local pediatrician that follows the DAN! approach. We had a great meeting, lots of good information and she was glad to see that we were already fully on the diet and eliminating the toxins in our environment. He will be starting the vitamin supplements probably next week and this is just the next step in all of this. I am hoping I can hide them enough and easily in whatever he eats. I've been making veggie and fruit smoothies daily so that he can get used to it since I can probably hide a lot in them. She is not as aggressive as the Buffalo doctor in terms of her approach, but it is pretty much the same treatment. No blood testing up front, only stool for yeast. I am going to get to play mix and mash with his poop for the stool sample kit test. How did I end up here...
I got a wonderful call from Katie last night totally unexpected. When I saw her last week I gave her a little gift that included Jenny's second book "Mother Warriors" because that was THE book that sold me on the whole biomedical approach. My intentions were not to "tell" her she should do the diet but rather help her realize that she should consider it...and guess what? She said that she read the book in one sitting, just as I had, and that her husband was now reading it, just like Chris had. So they are on board with the diet, detox, etc. and I am thrilled. Now we need to get our families together for a big GFCF feast!
Uh oh, I smell poopy...that means it's sample collection time, gotta go!
Today is the school districts eval and I am praying that he blows it. In order to go to St. James in the Fall, he will have to qualify for what is called a 12:1:1 classroom. This class has all special needs kids with an aide to 1 or so students. Chris really should be in an integrated class with 50%NT kids and 50%special needs kids, but they don't have any openings. The plan is to get his foot in the door and then see if he is just way too high functioning for that class and they will move him to the other class. We went as far as to wake this poor child up at 5:00 a.m. and the evaluation is at 1:00 so he will have been up with no nap so I am hoping that we get a favorable outcome. Watch it all blow up in my face...as I say that, he just said "face" and pointed to his face, that's another first. Oh boy...
We met with Dr. Weinberg yesterday and she is the local pediatrician that follows the DAN! approach. We had a great meeting, lots of good information and she was glad to see that we were already fully on the diet and eliminating the toxins in our environment. He will be starting the vitamin supplements probably next week and this is just the next step in all of this. I am hoping I can hide them enough and easily in whatever he eats. I've been making veggie and fruit smoothies daily so that he can get used to it since I can probably hide a lot in them. She is not as aggressive as the Buffalo doctor in terms of her approach, but it is pretty much the same treatment. No blood testing up front, only stool for yeast. I am going to get to play mix and mash with his poop for the stool sample kit test. How did I end up here...
I got a wonderful call from Katie last night totally unexpected. When I saw her last week I gave her a little gift that included Jenny's second book "Mother Warriors" because that was THE book that sold me on the whole biomedical approach. My intentions were not to "tell" her she should do the diet but rather help her realize that she should consider it...and guess what? She said that she read the book in one sitting, just as I had, and that her husband was now reading it, just like Chris had. So they are on board with the diet, detox, etc. and I am thrilled. Now we need to get our families together for a big GFCF feast!
Uh oh, I smell poopy...that means it's sample collection time, gotta go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment