September 20, 2009

So Inspiring

Who doesn't love to hear an inspiring story? I read inspiring stories every day. They are mostly stories of children and families living with autism, whether it be their progress, their hopes and dreams, their beliefs, their faith, or sometimes even their recovery, it always fulfills my need for a daily dose of inspiration.

I especially love the days where the inspiration comes from Christopher. I was never so proud of him than on Friday when I was getting him ready to leave for school. He's been crying since the first day at drop off and pick up, and even throughout his time there, but it has been a little less everyday. I was putting on his shoes and backpack at home and he kept saying "Mommy, Mommy, etc." and I knew what he meant by it. He was getting upset because he knew that it was time to go. I told him that he was going to school and was going to have fun and that I would be there to pick him up to come home. He fought back his urge to cry and took Chris' hand and headed toward the car. He was being so brave, although I know he wanted to cry. When Chris dropped him off, he didn't shed a tear. When I walked in the classroom to pick him up, his teacher told me that he didn't cry at all. That was HUGE for him and for us too. I know it kills Chris to have to leave him there crying . So in good ol' fashion sibling rivalry, Chris can tell his sister that he stopped crying long before she ever did in preschool...and I mean months! He inspires us with so much, especially his brave determination.

Not only are kids with special needs inspiration themselves, but so are their parents, especially their mothers. This past week I got the best birthday present of all...by being inspired by three special mothers. Erin Beyers is William and Ella's mom. She is a young mother to two year old twins one of which William, was born with a rare brain malformation. We met the Beyers family while spending time at Mary Cariola Children's Center this spring and summer. Carleen Fallone, who I actually went to high school with, is married to Chris' distant cousin. She has four kids, 2 of which are 10 month old twin girls. One of the twins, Mia was born with fluid on her brain and some other physical concerns. She is embarking on her 4th surgery in the coming weeks. Stephanie Shirley is one of the five mothers who lost their daughters in that horrific car accident two years ago. Her daughter Katie Shirley is one of the Fairport Angels and in Stephanie's grief, emerged Katie Shirley's Closet. A philanthropic effort for The Fairy Godmothers and a daycare for medically fragile babies called Daystar.

Both Erin's son William and Carleen's daughter Mia attend Daystar. Stephanie Shirley designs and sells inspirational jewelry all in her daughter's memory to raise money for the organization. Stephanie also volunteers by spending time at Daystar weekly to spend time with the children there.

Last weekend I was given one of the Katie Shirley's Closet bracelets by Katie's grandmother, Mary Maggio on behalf of her daughter Stephanie. I loved this bracelet, not only because it was beautiful, but because of the meaning it held and all for a good cause in support of Daystar. I sent Stephanie an email that night thanking her for the bracelet and telling her about our story and how we know a child who attends Daystar (meaning William because at the time I did not know that Mia also attended). So in the meantime I find out that Katie Shirley's Closet will be at the public market on Sunday and I let Stephanie know that we will be going.

So now, Carleen sends me a message on Facebook saying that she met Erin through Daystar and that she will be joining our support group for local mothers of special needs children. We have our first official outing planned for the 28th where we will all get to meet in person...I'm really looking forward to it. Well now it gets even crazier because Carleen is also distantly related to Stephanie through the Ciardi lineage.

Long story short, I got to see Stephanie today. I splurged on her creations all in honor of her beautiful daughter Katie and our speical friends William and Mia. Her sister Sandy made me a special mother's bracelet with my kid's initials on it that I will treasure forever. Stephanie and I are going to work together to design and create a bracelet that we can give our wonderful team of therapists and teachers for gifts in honor of the work they do for us and Christopher...kind of like a "Christopher's Cause" bracelet and again...all for a good cause.

So this week, the best birthday gift I got was being connected with these special women, all on different journeys of our own, but all so passionate and loving mothers. These women are oozing inspiration and I am grateful to them for sharing their stories with me.

Check out more information on Katie Shirley's Closet and Daystar at http://katieshirleyscloset.com/index.htm.

3 comments:

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Beth, It is neat that you and Carleen connected! It is such a small world sometimes. Thank you for the compliments in this post! Some days are so challenging raising a child with special needs as you know so it is always nice to get encouragement. I think you are a fantastic, caring, and knowledgeable mother!! You inspire me. Stephanie sounds like an amazing mother as well; I hope to meet her soon at Daystar!!

Erin

cfallone said...

Bethany, you are way too sweet and give me way too much credit! I too found it amazing, inspirational and a gift to be connected in such special ways. Who would have thought that after graduating high school our paths would have brought us together again here, like this? I cannot wait to hear all about your Christopher. He sounds wonderful! You are such a great advocate for him and so many others. Hopefully I will see you Monday! By the way, Happy belated Birthday!!!