April 29, 2009
Here it goes...
The evaluation at Strong went very well today. Chris was on top of his game just as I hoped he would be. He demonstrated both his good and bad sides which made for a fulfilling evaluation.
So I'll just cut to the chase....he received an autism diagnosis. No surprises there, we were more than prepared for it. Like I said, it really doesn't change things. Therapy is going to get more intense...probably 20-25 hours a week. He's eligible for more services now and since he responds so well to therapy, this will only help him move forward faster.
The psychologist was wonderful....she's only a year younger than us and she's brilliant. Her credentials are very impressive. Boy, I'm jealous because now I see what I could have done with that BA in Psychology, yeah only after I got the MS and PhD! The evaluation consisted of an interview with us, then some playtime and then a questionnairre. After all of the scoring, she came up with a number that was 2 points above the autism number for a diagnosis on the spectrum.
Lots of stuff to do...they say that the next 100 days after a diagnosis is a hectic time. I'm so glad I have such a wonderful team, I need to celebrate them. They have a genuine vested interest in Chris's success and push him toward it everyday. They are our guardian angels, although the minute we walked out of the hospital I found a penny on the ground. I have a wonderful team up in heaven rooting for us too.
So I'll just cut to the chase....he received an autism diagnosis. No surprises there, we were more than prepared for it. Like I said, it really doesn't change things. Therapy is going to get more intense...probably 20-25 hours a week. He's eligible for more services now and since he responds so well to therapy, this will only help him move forward faster.
The psychologist was wonderful....she's only a year younger than us and she's brilliant. Her credentials are very impressive. Boy, I'm jealous because now I see what I could have done with that BA in Psychology, yeah only after I got the MS and PhD! The evaluation consisted of an interview with us, then some playtime and then a questionnairre. After all of the scoring, she came up with a number that was 2 points above the autism number for a diagnosis on the spectrum.
Lots of stuff to do...they say that the next 100 days after a diagnosis is a hectic time. I'm so glad I have such a wonderful team, I need to celebrate them. They have a genuine vested interest in Chris's success and push him toward it everyday. They are our guardian angels, although the minute we walked out of the hospital I found a penny on the ground. I have a wonderful team up in heaven rooting for us too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What a great team. The strides you have all made in these few months are only scratchng the surface of the progress to come! The intensity of your commitment is clear and Christopher couldn't have better parents to guide him...I suppose that penny helps too :)
We love you!
Steph
You are on top of your game Beth- both you and Chris have a great ability to research, organize and scout out the best services. Now Chrissy will get the best assistance to learn, play and communicate as the wonderful little boy he is. We are all here to support your family in anyway. Love Joan
Thanks guys, things are only looking up and all your support is very welcome.
A penny from Grandpa
Post a Comment